Wednesday 7 November 2012

A song from my youth

A song from my youth resides in my heart more than ever before; maybe it's the memories it brings to mind. Memories of a small village in the Eastern Cape - Emaqhinebeni; where my parents were born, where a family of about 10 grandchildren with a prayerful Grandmother would gather every evening and pray without fail and cry out to God. Maybe it's the sincere harmonious voices that I can still hear resounding in perfect melody in an African way.

Maybe it's the profound lyrics that came to life when we lifted our voices in worship in our indigenous language isiXhosa. Time stood still in that dining room gathering and every insignificant thought at that second became futile. I was three years old, but I remember it as if it was yesterday. At that very moment I remember I would often experience a mind-blowing, tangible experience with God Almighty that would later impact my life tremendously.


The lyrics of the song are as follows:

Thixo, akunangqaleko;
Thixo akunangqibeko;
Ukho eendaweni zonke,
Ukho ngamaxesha onke.

Phaya ezinkwenkwezini
Ukho Wena, ezulwini;
Wab' ukade sel' ukhona,
Xa zingekabikho zona.

Zoda zigqibeke zonke,
Kuthi tshabalala konke;
Ube Wena ungapheli,
Ube Wena usahleli. Amen.

This is the direct English translation (Which might not be too grammatically correct)

God you have no beginning
God you have no end
You are present in all places
You are present at all times

Beside the stars
You dwell in heaven
You were there
Before their creation

At the end of time
All things shall fade
Yet you will still be there
Yet you will still be present. Amen.

5 comments: