Friday 26 October 2012

Gift of the giver



I've been privileged to have a job that takes me to all sorts of places and spaces, today I found myself at an award ceremony for students who were mentors to first years. The passion they had to voluntarily avail themselves, giving their precious time and energy to their peers was amazing. 

It took me back to a similar experience that I had in high school where we, matrics were afforded the privilege to be mentors to the grade eights. It was a very needed programme for student's who knew very little about having timetables, traveling to and from different lectures, I learnt so many new things and so did they. Sometimes we would pray in the morning and some of them would give a word of encouragement to the class. I had many priceless memories; we had lots of fun.

They appreciated (what seemed to me) the very simple knowledge I had to share with them. It's amazing how they are still able to spot me after about 7 or so years in malls or on the road. Really what made the whole experience worthwhile for me was the feeling of knowing that I had made a difference in their high school experience. My mother told me this for many years, but it wasn't until I learned it for myself that it became real to me that it's more blessed to give than it is to receive. 

There's no better example of this than that of God who gave His one and only son, Jesus to be heartlessly killed on a cross so mankind could experience salvation. I was reminded again toady that in my busy life, I should never forget to make time to give to others, not only referring to material things but give of myself, to greet, explain something, compliment, laugh with, encourage, share the word with, visit, listen to, notice someone.  

"And I have been a constant example of how you can help those in need by working hard. You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive." - Acts 20:35



1 comment:

  1. Uhmmm "I should never forget to make time to give to others, not only referring to material things but give of myself, to greet, EXPLAIN SOMETHING, compliment, LAUGH WITH, encourage, share the word with, visit, listen to, NOTICE SOMEONE."

    ReplyDelete