Wednesday 12 December 2012

Still, small voice

But the LORD said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”
Elijah replied, “I have zealously served the LORD God Almighty. But the people of Israel have broken their covenant with you, torn down your altars, and killed every one of your prophets. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me, too.”

 “Go out and stand before me on the mountain,” the LORD told him. And as Elijah stood there, the LORD passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. 
- 1 Kings 19b - 12a

Often times as human beings on this earth it's so easy to get caught up in the noise, the action, technology, the drama, the everyday hustle and bustle to the point that you just don't hear God speak. 

I recently encountered such a situation. It was a very draining period in my life. In all honesty, sometimes I wish that God would speak in an audible voice in my life and tell me exactly what His perfect will for my life is but God is a perfect gentleman and will only nudge ever so gently and tug on the strings of your heart. He won't impose His will on us.

Like Elijah we expect God to move in the wind, the earth quake and the fire but God is always there guiding us step by step, holding our hand ever so faithfully whispering in a small voice. We can only hear this small voice when we stop and listen. Blessed are the people that hear this still, small, gentle voice, the joyful sound - Psalm 89:15. God says "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."- Jeremiah 29:13


Once I opened my bible to a scripture that would change me, I still often to refer to it for encouragement when I need to know that God will come through for me.

Even though the fig trees have no blossoms,
and there are no grapes on the vines;
even though the olive crop fails,
and the fields lie empty and barren;
even though the flocks die in the fields,
and the cattle barns are empty,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD!
I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!
The Sovereign LORD is my strength!
He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
able to tread upon the heights.
- Habakkuk 3:17-19

This song is on repeat on my playlist these days



No comments:

Post a Comment